as prepared by Regina Irvin
- 1 TBS olive oil1 tsp butter or margarine
- 1 TBS minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 1 TBS chili powder or more to taste
- ½ tsp of dry mustard
- ½ tsp of ground cumin
- ¼ tsp of celery seeds
- ¼ tsp fresh ground pepper
- ¾ lb green beans
- 1 ½ cups carrot slices, cut ¼ inch thick (2 large carrots)
- 1 cup sliced celery cut on the diagonal, ½ inch thick
- 1 16 oz can tomatoes with juice reserved
- 1 cup diced onions
- 2 cups strips of red and/or green peppers, about ¼ x 1 ½ inches (2 peppers)
- 1 2/3 cups cooked kidney beans (1 16 ox can with liquid)
- Plain yogurt to garnish
- In a large, deep skillet or shallow saucepan heat the oil and butter, and add garlic, chili powder, mustard, cumin, celery seeds, and black pepper. Saute the mixture over a low flame, stirring it for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the green beans, carrots, celery, and ½ cup of juice from canned tomatoes. Stir the mixture well, cover the pan and cook the mixture about 10 minutes.
- Add the onions and the red/green peppers, and cook uncovered another 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, their remaining juice, and the kidney beans with their juice, and cook the chili 10 minutes longer. Serve with a dollop of yogurt if desired.